Saturday, July 17, 2010

That's why God Invented Salt

Today I woke up early and tooted on over to Naples for the day. When I got there I decided I might as well head to Pompei too so upon arrival I boared yet another train there. Lucky for me I picked the best train ever! I was sitting in an unairconditioned car across from a woman with so many bottom teeth I opted to put on my sunglasses so I could stare shamelessly. She had so much going on on the south side of her jaw that I decided she must have evolved from a rare species of shark because no one with that many incizers decended from an ape. When I got tired of that I looked at the bumper sticker plastered to the window that read "I heart bombing" and then we arrived!

For those of you who don't already know, Pompei was a city at the base of Mount Vesuvius that got preserved in time when the volcano blew up and surprised everyone with a blanket of volcanic ash that hardened and killed them all. Sounds nice eh? It was actually pretty cool minus the fact that its about 100 degrees every day and I literally drip sweat when I stand still in the shade. I learned today that this is the hottest summer ever on record for Italy and that the heat is killing people throughout Europe!

When I had finished mulling around the ghost town, I returned to Naples which I was pretty friggin excited about it because a little birdy told me that not only is Naples the birthplace of pizza, but the food gets better as you head south on account of the sun. Here in Rome all of the recipes seem to have been borrowed from the most famous chef I know...Boyardee. Everything tastes like goddamn spaghetti-o's so anything Naples had to offer was going to be an improvement. I arrived to what looked like a huge heap of garbage on a hill and set out looking for the first ever pizza place. On the way I stopped and got some lemon granita to cool me down which was deliciously amazing (a good start). Well I found my pizza place and that too was fantastic and dirt cheap. I made the executive decision to test out a brioche...best brioche of my life, then ricotta pear gelati...so delectable. At this point I tore myself away from the place before I turned into a meatball with legs but not before buying a small pizza to take back for dinner and thanking the people of Naples because unlike the Tuscan region, they use salt in their cuisine.

Side note: I just googled the weather in Marrakesh next week and its going to be 110 degrees...may your thoughts and prayers be with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment