Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Slore Who Cried "Your idea is better than mine!"

Day 4 of Threads:

Today we endured 3 1/2 hours of mind-numbing presentations on research and conclusion. The assignment was to research something separate from textiles and pull inspiration from it. This is week three of the class so by now we all know the main themes of eachother's collections. I've been gabbing about doing "The Great Gatsby" for awhile and my research included not only reading the book, but also watching the 1974 movie and making notes of quotations, doodling ideas, etc. Point is, I'm knee deep in this shit and the pile is rising.

I walked into class and sat down with my goodies all ready to show everyone including my fabric selections, a video of the Charleston (a dance from the 20's incase you missed that), a vintage collar from a dress that was hand-beaded (thanks mom) and some other shenanigans. Much to my surprise, the first Yahoo/Slore who stands up and presents is like "I'm doing the 20's cocktail dresses with headbands because I'm a dirty, rotten, coniving, thief who doesn't have original ideas so I steal other peoples." Or something along those lines.

My only saving grace? Her fabric selection is prostitute-chic and her sewing skills are comparable to that of a one-armed mannequin: keep your fingers crossed people.

1 comment:

  1. I know for a fact that priscilla mccalls on western blv. sells 20's flapper dresses for girls inspiring to get creative on valentines day or... your everyday stripper. Maybe this idea stealing slore didn't steal from you but instead was doing some shopping of her own and became inspired in the speakeasy of sin...

    ReplyDelete