Monday, May 24, 2010

Cosmos Hostel

The new hostel I'm in is much smaller but in a more central location which comes with the perk of smelling like urine. When I got here I approached a staircase that has steps with a 3" depth, 9"rise, curves around to the right and should definitely be marked with a sign that reads "Come home drunk and expect death." I found a nice Canadian boy to carry my bag up the steps because I can barely lift it on account of all my shoes.

The ridiclous range of shoes I brought is already coming back to bite me in the ass. I 'm pretty sure I'm walking my feet flat so yesterday I wore my most practical shoes and people were looking at me thinking "There goes that tacky American with her god-awful shoes." For the most part no one thinks I'm American though until I open my big mouth and my ugly accent comes out so I've begun speaking in French to people who I don't think will know the language and if they do...run the other way.

I decided to venture out and shop a little...maybe for some tennis shoes since there are 6 H&M's on this street alone. Unfortunately I can't afford to buy anything and instead I wandered around in a state of depression looking at all the things I can't have. If at any point I came across something I could half-afford I considered buying it even if it was monkey-ass ugly just because I want things. At one point I took a wrong turn and walked right into the red-light district where I was startled by half-naked girls in windows at 10am offering up sex for a negotiable price...classy.

I was so exhausted at the end of all that that I came back to the hostel and it turns out...Argentina sent it's two ugliest citizens to be my roommates. One guy with the hairiest back I've ever seen insisted on rummaging through a stack of plastic bags while the other 300 lb Argentinian slept on the bottom bunk topless, very large nipples exposed, and snoring at full volume. I hadn't planned on going out but to sleep through this beer is a necessity.

4 comments:

  1. i knew your feet would die, buy a good pair of shoes and be done with it. It'll be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to the drugstore and buy a pair of earplugs...a worthwhile purchase when sharing a room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told you to pack real shoes!! go get a pair at a Mango or some place... at least some shoes with soles in them. you'll be happy later!

    Have you considered finding a hostel with a private room? I'm scared about those sketchy men.... PLEASE BE SAFE! come home in one piece litle lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morgie

    if you have too much to carry send some stuff home with helen. (that way shipping if free). do you want me to send your sneakers?

    your boxes arrived today (we are picking up the last 3 from UPS tonight) and I can check if your keds are here or in the car which won't arrive until next week. either way I am happy to send shoes by way of helen.

    love mom

    p.s. listen to your sister and get some good shoes.

    ReplyDelete