Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Buttery Belgium

On my last night in Amsterdam, that guy Ron cooked us dinner again (this time it was chicken tacos) and then we all went out dancing until the same came up, at which point I immediatey boarded a train for Brussels.

Words learned in Dutch:
Kaas = cheese
Prost = cheers
Winkel = store

So far Brussels has been like one really huge bad first date...except the reason we aren't talking isn't because we don't have anything to say, it's because we don't speak the same language. I am staying with Bertrand (dads friend) and his daughter Clementine who he said was 14 but is actually 13 going on 14. Whats with French people and telling people you're older?? His daughter is teeny tiny, she cant be more than 60 or 70 lbs and comâred to her I look like one huge ogre. She also speaks zero English but really enjoys talking at warp speed and trying to understand her is like having my head placed in a Chinese torture device.

Since I've been here we went to a BBQ where, upon arrival, there were desserts on the table. I just assumed a European BBQ was a get together not a cookout and took the liberty of trying the cheesecake, rhubarb tart, and mini cupcakes along with a cherry beer that was friggin excellent. Then apparently the cookout started and the had food up to my eyeballs (two different types of sausage, about 5 salads, three different quiche, and bread). As if that weren't enough they then brought out dessert round two that consisted of Chocolate covered strawberries, Belgian chocolate cake, and a strawberry cream tart. I died, went to heaven, then exploded.

In the mean time I've also managed to get completely lost, freeze my toes into submission, eat a fish just like in Julie and Julia cooked in butter where you have to pull the bone from the middle, discover the utter bliss of Belgian waffles/ french fries and attend another dinner party last night where they cooked couscous and served me beer in a very strange glass nearly impossible to drink from called "kwak."

No comments:

Post a Comment